Mononymously known as Jennie, Jennie Kim (김제니) is one of the members of the K-pop quartet Blackpink. The other members are Jisoo, Rosé and Lisa.
Formed by YG Entertainment, Blackpink debuted with the album “Square One,” which was released on August 8, 2016. It contained two songs namely “Whistle” and “Boombayah.”
Jennie is a singer and rapper. Here are 13 more things about her:
- She was born in Seoul, South Korea on January 16, 1996. She is an only child.
- She is 5’4″.
- She attended Cheongdam Middle School in Cheongdam-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul.
- In 2004, she and her family went on a trip to Australia and New Zealand.
- In 2005, she was sent to study at Waikowhai Intermediate School in Auckland, New Zealand. She lived with a home-stay family. She attended ACG Parnell College in Auckland.
- In 2010, she moved back from Auckland to South Korea. In the same year, she auditioned to join YG Entertainment as a vocalist by performing “Take a Bow” by Rihanna. She passed the auditioned and was encouraged to try rapping since she could speak English. To become a rapper, she studied Lauryn Hill and TLC.
- She appeared in the music video of G-Dragon‘s song “That XX,” which was released on September 1, 2012.
- In 2013, she was a featured artist in “Black” by G-Dragon, “GG Be” by Seungri and “Special” by Lee Hi.
- On June 1, 2016, she was the first to be revealed for YG Entertainment’s new girl group.
- In April 2017, she graced the cover of Dazed Korea, which was her first magazine cover. She had a solo pictorial with Saint Laurent for the magazine.
- In June 2018, she became the ambassador for Chanel Korea and attended the launch of Chanel’s new fragrance Les Eaux De Chanel in Deauville, France. In July 2018, she and Jisoo appeared on “Running Man.” On November 12, 2018, YG Entertainment and Interscope released her single “Solo,” which marked her debut as a solo artist. It was named the Song of the Year at the 8th Gaon Chart Music Awards in 2019 and it won Digital Bonsang at the 34th Golden Disc Awards in 2020.
- In January 2019, Hera announced her as one of its new models. Her first advertisement for the Amore Pacific-owned luxury beauty brand was for its Red Vibe lip series, which was launched in February 2019.
- In February 2020, KT Corporation selected her as an endorser for the Samsung Galaxy S20 Aura Red. On June 11, 2020, Lotte Confectionery announced her as the brand endorser for its new snack product Air Baked. She and Jisoo are one of the 10 songwriters of the Blackpink song “Lovesick Girls,” which was released on October 2, 2020.